The food blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://food.casadelindquist.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Next conquest: Chocolate Mousse!

Shhh! My mother-in-law shared a secret with me: tofu can taste good. Better yet, tofu can be used in a super delicious chocolate dessert. Sounds impossible, but this Cooking Light recipe will please your taste buds and your waist-line!

After she shared the recipe with me, I have made it my goal to make this recipe my next! Can't wait to try it and share my thoughts, opinions, and any alterations... :)

Ingredients
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat extra-firm tofu
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
Fat-free whipped topping, thawed (optional)
Grated chocolate (optional)

Directions
Place chocolate and tofu in a food processor or blender, and process 2 minutes or until smooth.
Place salt and egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238°. Pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed. Gently stir one-fourth of meringue into the tofu mixture; gently fold in remaining meringue. Spoon 1/2 cup mousse into each of 8 (6-ounce) custard cups. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Garnish with whipped topping and grated chocolate, because it looks pretty and there is something to be said for food looking good!

1 comment:

  1. The mousse was a total fail! It was lumpy and the tofu was definitely present in the dish. It did NOT taste like chocolate mousse. Alas... there are bound to be failures in life.
    However, my mother-in-law assures me that it can be done, so she is going to make some for me. Perhaps I had a bad batch of tofu?

    ReplyDelete