The food blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://food.casadelindquist.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chicken Mediterranean Pizza

As I have gotten older, made more of my own food, and developed my tastes, I have discovered that I am very particular about my food. I wouldn't even call it "picky" as that implies that I don't like to eat food. Rather, I find that if I can make something myself better than the restaurant at which we are eating, I am disinclined to order the food item.
Now this "particularness" about food didn't happen all at once. I mean, once upon a time, I thought Pizza Hut was gourmet! (I was 5; what can I say?). Then I really liked Sammy's and Famous Dave's pizza (local food joints). Now, I like my pizza homemade with fresh ingredients.

One of my favorite pizzas is a Chicken Mediterranean Pizza. Start out with a refrigerated crust (flat bread style) and add some pesto to it. Then top it with spinach, cheeses, tomatoes, and chicken and you've got a pizza that can't be beat!

Ingredients
1 refrigerated crust (I used to use Boboli but my grocery store has recently stopped selling them)
2-3 tbsp pesto (I prefer Classico Pesto; it is not overwhelmed with pine nuts)
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup finely shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup Parmesan asiago blend
1 4oz container of tomato basil feta cheese crumbles
1 medium tomato; diced
1 tbsp Olive Oil
pepper and salt to taste
1 cup cooked, diced chicken

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the refrigerated crust on a pizza pan and spread the pesto evenly across the crust. Add the spinach and bake for about 3 minutes; this makes the spinach a little more on the "crunchy" side.
2) Now prepare your chicken. Dice up the raw chicken and put it in a non-stick cooking pan. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper to the chicken. Cook until the chicken is just cooked. Remember, it will go in the oven, so don't cook it too much now or it will burn.
3) Add the mozzarella, Parmesan asiago, and feta cheeses to the pizza. Top the cheeses with the diced tomatoes and cooked chicken.
4) Place the pizza in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until cheeses are melted.

I enjoy my slices of pizza with everything from fruit salad to Caesar salad, potato chips to a side of soup. It also makes for wonderful leftovers! Store it in a Pyrex container and reheat it in the microwave for a quick lunch. I hope you enjoy this tasty treat as much as we do in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment