The food blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://food.casadelindquist.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Delicious Southwest Chicken Soup

I’ve recently decided (again) I’d like to eat healthier, which often goes hand in hand with eating at home. I’ve declared this desire in the past but never actually stuck to it :) I’m having much better luck this time but that often means eating lots of veggies and the like. This leads to eating a lot of salads which can get boring quite quickly. It was tonight while I was preparing the same salad I ate last night (Chipotle Chicken Salad – recipe coming soon) I realized I didn’t really want another salad; even if it was excellent. So, I decided to make one of my absolute favorite meals . . . Southwest Chicken Soup! It’s super easy to throw together and I usually have everything on hand. And did I mention its DELICIOUS!




Southwest Chicken Soup
1 Medium Onion -chopped
2 Bell Peppers – chopped ( I usually use red, yellow and/or orange)
3 Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Medium Chicken Breast- cubed and cooked (I often use leftovers)
1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
1 Can Black Beans
1 Can Salsa or 1 Cup Fresh Salsa + extra for topping
1 tsp Cumin (add more if you like spice like I do!)
2 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp dried Oregano
2-3 tsp dried Cilantro (or ½ a bunch of fresh Cilantro)
1 tsp McCormick Fajita seasoning (optional- I had this on hand and threw it in, it added a great smoky? taste)
Non-stick cooking Spray

Toppings - Optional
Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream , Salsa, Tortilla Strips

Place saucepan over medium heat. Spray bottom of saucepan with Non-stick spray, add onions and peppers. Saute for 2-4 minutes or until tender (You can skip this step if you are planning on letting the soup simmer for an extended period). Add remaining soup ingredients and increase heat to high and boil for 3-5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Decrease heat to med-low and continue cooking for 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls top with cheese, sour cream, salsa, and tortilla strips. Enjoy!
Makes approximately four 1 cup servings.

Technically the soup is done after all ingredients are heated through but I find that simmering for a while intensifies the flavor. I occasionally make a double batch in a large stock pot and then freeze the excess in individual servings for later. Just be sure to defrost before heating. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment