The food blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://food.casadelindquist.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Egg Muffins! Strange concept wonderful taste!

I know what you’re thinking. Egg muffins? Is she serious? But truly these are amazing! I admit I was skeptical (very skeptical) at first but I figured I’ve probably had worse; and really how bad could they be?

I work very odd hours, sometimes leaving the house around 4 am. This being said I never ever get up earlier than I absolutely have to. But that also means I never have time to eat a real breakfast . . . until now. I was searching for something that would be considered healthy (ie. not laden with sugar and carbs like most commercial on the go breakfast-y things) and that also tastes good. These little muffins fulfill all of those!


This recipe is courtesy of Kalyn’s Kitchen; my changes are in italics.
Egg Muffins Revisited Again
(Makes 12 muffins, recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from The South Beach Diet book.

15 eggs (for silicone muffin pans, use 12 eggs for metal muffin tins or individual silicone cups. You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.) I used the equivalent of 8 eggs of egg beaters and 4 whole eggs- Next time I would use about 10 eggs because I prefer more veggies in each cup.
1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning – I used a combo of garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper and my favorite roasted red pepper and garlic. It turned out being about 3 tsps of spice.
1-2 cups grated low fat cheese (use less cheese if using meat) I used fat free cheddar, tomato basil feta, and a little parmesan to equal 1.5 cups.
Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.
Optional: chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content) I used broccoli, half of a yellow pepper, and half of an onion. Next time I’ll make it with spinach instead of broccoli.
Optional: diced Canadian bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage. I used 8 pieces of cooked turkey bacon.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size. If using silicone pan, spray with nonstick spray. If using regular muffin pan, put two paper liners into each slot, then spray liner with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full (I filled mine to the top), with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, Add Spices, and beat well. (I added a bit of skim milk with the whole eggs), Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork (didn’t have room to stir and they turned out great). Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 2 minutes to reheat. It says 2 minutes but I put 2 muffins together in for about 1 min and 10 sec and they are perfect!
After making these I realized I didn’t make enough! Next time I will double the recipe and make 24 at a time so that I have enough for the week and some to freeze! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment